Akanksha Savanal : Stylist

Discuss everything related to Production Design, Art Direction, Costumes, Make Up, Prosthetics etc here.

parambyte
Site Admin

Post by parambyte »

Akanksha was born and raised in Mumbai,India. She grew up to be a very clear headed and ambitious girl. At the age of 12, she discovered that fashion was her calling in the midst of games she played with her girlfriends. She went on to pursue fashion to SNDT University, Mumbai alongside a degree in Commerce from renowned NM college.

Why are you a stylist? What inspired you?

I started off wanting to be a designer and styling was a mere stroke of destiny. That's how I started interning with a stylist and instantly knew this was something I would love to do every day.

Have you always wanted to do something creative?

Yes. I always knew I couldn't pull off a 9 to 5 desk job. I'm too restless to sit in one place and do as people say. ‘Being your own boss' was an idea that fascinated me since I was a child.

How did you get your first break as a Stylist?

I had just finished my diploma at SNDT and was looking to gain experience in fashion. A family friend suggested that I should intern at a fashion stylist and even before I knew,I was working   for Nitasha Gaurav.

What are the qualifications to become a good stylist?

For styling, I feel your aesthetic sense and sense of style is very crucial. A Degree in styling is   a plus point in your kitty.

Who would you love to style most? Your dream assignment?

My dream project would be styling Deepika Padukone.I admire her a lot for the way she's made her way into the industry.

What are you working on right now?

Currently, we are on stylist panel for Myntra.com and have a couple of styling projects to do on a monthly basis. Simultaneously, we are busy styling lookbooks and catalogues. We also have a couple of personal styling requests coming in on a regular basis.

How do you feel about the your industry today?

I consider myself very blessed to have landed up among the best people to work within the industry.   It is extremely competitive but if you can create a niche for yourself , this is your runway.

Was there any time when you felt like quitting?

Fashion styling can be insanely erratic schedules. There were days where I worked 16-18 hours and gone for weeks without an off. The best part here was I loved every bit of it so quitting just wasn't a consideration. Every time   I was on the set of a shoot, it only made me realize that this is   where I belong.

What would you advise young professionals about joining the industry?

I'm 21 myself , so not sure if I can give the right advice but here's what I learnt in the past years- Do what you love and if you're passionate enough, it will never feel like a job. Give it your all and what you deserve will always find its way to you. 

Do you work on feature films as well?

For feature films, do you get the complete script in time? Do you get to have enough dialogue with the Director, Cinematographer and Production Designer to come up with a relevant styling for the film?

We   haven't worked on a feature film ever since I started my own company. Though, We would love to explore this avenue very soon. 

What are your favourite films for costumes in India?

I absolutely loved the costumes in Jodha Akbar that depicted Royal India. Other favourites would be Cocktail and Aisha for the modern age style. 

Where do you see yourself five years from now?

5 years from now, I hope to be at the peak of my career and to be known for the work I do. Having started early, I feel is one of best advantages we have in the industry.

Would you want to launch your own label?

Definitely. That's the dream I entered the industry with and I would want that to come true some day soon.

What's the last book you read? Movie? Music?

The last book I read was #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso: It's like Bible for us! A must read.

Movie- Humpty Sharma ki Dulhaniya

Music-   Saturday Saturday

Who would you like to take out for dinner?

I have been very blessed to be surrounded by people who always believed in me. I would like to take my aunt ‘Dhanashree Bhatkal'. She has always instilled an undying spirit in me that never lets me give up. She's my 4am friend who I have by my side always, no matter what. 

Whats on your iPod?

Gone Gone Gone by Phillip Phillips

This post has been promoted to an article

post-1-0-51804200-1406191226.jpg

aditi

Post by aditi »

Great work Akanksha! You and Trisha work together, right?

Return to “Art, Costume & Make Up”